Inspections – Do I Need A Permit?
Below is a list of projects for which a permit is not required. If your project does not appear on this list please call the Bureau of Inspections to see if you need a permit. Call 657-8121
- Installation, repair or replacement of any interior finishes of less than 25% of the wall area in any given room. Including plastering and drywall.
- Wallpapering and vinyl wall coverings. (Paneling does require a permit)
- Installation and replacement of any window or door including garage doors in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening.
- The repair of any non-structural member such as a partition railing or kitchen Cabinet.
- Repair or replacement of any trim, decoration or molding.
- Exterior and interior Painting
- The replacement of any flooring material including carpeting in single family homes.
- The repair of roofing not exceeding 25% of the total roof area within any 12 month period.
- The repair or replacement of a porch or stoop, which does not support a roof above.
- The replacement or installation of screens.
- Replacement of exterior gutters and leaders.
- Replacement of hose bib valves, however they must be replaced with an approved vacuum breaker.
- Refinishing of existing fixtures.
- Replacement of ballcocks, however they must be an approved anti-siphon type.
- Repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping between 2 adjacent joints only.
- Clearance of stoppages.
- Replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets.
- Replacement of valves, (Shower and combination Bath/Shower valves replacements do require permits).
- Replacement of traps in single-family residences.
- Replacement of domestic clothes washers and dishwashers.
- Replacements of a water closet, lavatory or kitchen sink with a similar fixture providing no piping changes are needed.
- Replacement of any receptacle, switch or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less.
- Replacement of receptacles where a ground fault receptacle is required shall be done with a permit.
- Repairs to doorbells, communication systems and motor operated devices.
- Communication wiring in single-family residences.
- Replacement of domestic dishwashers.
- Replacement of range hoods in single-family dwellings.
- Replacement of smoke detectors, heat detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Installation of battery powered smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Replacement of motors, pumps and fans of the same capacity.
- Repair and replacement of ductwork.
- Repair of air conditioning equipment.
- Replacement of control devices for heating and air conditioning.
- Replacement of appliances in single-family dwellings provided there is no change in fuel type or location.
- Repair of heating, supply and return piping, which do not require rearrangement of the piping.