Most of the model codes have provisions in them for administration of that particular code. The State of New Jersey does not adopt the administrative sections of the model codes. Through the legislative process New Jersey has written and adopted their own administrative code known as the Uniform Construction Code, State of New Jersey (Title 5 Section 23 of the New Jersey Administrative Code). This title is often shortened to “the UCC” or “the Regs” as know among state code officials and sometimes “the blue book” due to it’s blue binder. The correct citation of this code is N.J.A.C. 5:23 -subcode -subsection.
Within the UCC are the regulations required for all construction activities and how they are to be administered within the state. The regulations also include the Asbestos Hazard Abatement Subcode, the Radon Hazard Subcode, the Elevator Safety Subcode, the Modular Buildings and homes Subcodes, the Barrier Free Subcode and the newly adopted Rehabilitation Subcode .
The UCC also modifies the model codes sections to tailor them to the needs of New Jersey, this is why it is important to be well versed in the UCC. If you try to design without the UCC in your code library your drawings and spec’s may contain code deficiencies and /or may exceed the code in certain areas which could increase construction costs and delay plan review and/or the issuance of permit(s). See below for ordering instructions.
The adopted codes for the State of New Jersey are as follows:
* NOTE: Purchase information links below are to the non-profit Model Code Organizations that publish the codes and are for your convenience. You are not purchasing the codes from The Township of Manchester.
1. Subcodes Subchapter- this subchapter adopts & modifies the model codes: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.0
a. Building Subcode Þ 2000 International Building Code New Jersey Edition.
b. Plumbing Subcode Þ Effective Jan. 18, 2005 2003 National Standard Plumbing Code & as modified by the UCC: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.15. 2000 NSPC may be used on permits issued till June 18, 2005.
c. Electrical Subcode Þ 2002 National Electrical Code & as modified by the UCC: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.16.
d. Fire Protection Subcode Þ Certain sections of the building, electrical & mechanical subcodes. Also as modified by the UCC:N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.17.
e. Energy Subcode Þ
1) Residential 3 Stories or Less: 1995 CABO Model Energy Conservation Code (no longer in print) & as modified by the UCC: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.18 Download the RESchecksoftware for checking energy code compliance…FREE!
2) All other Uses and Residential Greater Than 3 Stories: ASHRAE 90.1-1999. COMcheck software is available from the Department of Energy that makes showing compliance easier…FREE!
f. Manufactured home Subcode Þ Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, as set forth in Part 3280 of Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations, including all revisions and amendments
Important: Also see N.J.A.C. 5:23-48, N.J.A.C. 5:23-4C, N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.19.
g. Mechanical Subcode Þ Effective Jan. 18, 2005 2003 International Mechanical Code & as modified by the UCC: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.20. 2000 IMC may be used on permits issued till June 18, 2005.
h. Indoor Air Quality Subcode Þ ASHRAE 62-1989 (Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality) & as modified by the UCC: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.20A.
i. One & Two- Family Dwelling Subcode Þ 2000 International Residential Code New Jersey Edition. Houses using this code are the new Use Group R-5,
j. Fuel Gas Subcode Þ Effective Jan. 18, 2005 2003 International Fuel Gas Code & as modified by the UCC:N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.22. 2000 IFGC may be used on permits issued till June 18, 2005.
2. Rehabilitation Subchapter Þ This regulates work on ALL existing buildings in the state N.J.A.C. 5:23-6.0.
3. UCC Barrier Free Subchapter 7 Þ N.J.A.C. 5:23-7.0 and ICC/ANSI A117.1-1998 -This regulates accessibility requirements in the state. Please note: New Jersey does not adopt or enforce the Federal ADA standards. New Jersey enforces UCC subchapter seven which equals or exceeds the ADA standards. So if you are compliant in New Jersey, you will also be compliant with ADA guidelines………………………… Additional Note: (IBC Chapter 11 was not adopted, UCC chapter 7 regulates accessibility requirements) Reference Standard: ICC/ANSI A117.1-1998.
4. Asbestos SubchapterÞ This subchapter regulates asbestos abatement work in New Jersey N.J.A.C. 5:23-8.0 5
5. Radon Hazard Subchapter Þ This subchapter regulates radon requirements in New Jersey N.J.A.C. 5:23-10.0
6. Elevator Safety Subchapter Þ This subchapter regulates elevators & related equip. in New Jersey N.J.A.C. 5:23-12.0
The UCC can be obtained from the State of New Jersey, Department of Community Affairs, Division of Codes and Standards: Publications. Telephone: 609-984-0040. It is also recommend that you purchase the subscription service to keep your new book up to date as the regulations change periodically.